Monday, April 7, 2008

Stop that Thief!

So I'm running late as usual and as the garage door is raising and I'm putting my things in the car, I notice another car speeding out of our driveway. My first thought is that it is strange that someone would back all the way into our driveway to turn around then it dawns on me that they were backed directly in front of Raymond's trailer. I'm not quick enough to see their license plate, but can only see what kind of car drives away. I still don't think it has totally dawned on me what was going on. Who would steal something in broad daylight at 7:45 in the morning? I start to panic because I don't really know what to do. I remember our neighbor across the street telling us one time how he just sits at home and watches everything, so I figured that I would go across to let him know what just happened and he could keep an eye out until Raymond could get home to take care of it. I head to school thinking that I would have an interesting story to tell at school.
...Lunch time...
I'm sitting in my room during recess with some kids and I look at my phone to see if Raymond had called. (He had jury duty today.) Just as I pick it up he started to call. He just got off the phone with The Village police because his trailer had been stolen. (Yes, the idiots came back!)
The neighbor that I had gone to talk to across the street called our other neighbor next door to us (his drinking buddy) to tell him to keep an eye out. He was sitting at his computer so he opened his blinds and could see the trailer from there. He said that he got up at 9:20 to change for work and at 9:30 when he left the trailer was gone. At this point the across the street neighbor had come out because he just noticed it gone. Next door neighbor called the police. He had no way to get a hold of any of us and so in searching the phone book found Raymond's parents info. He called them and gave them his number to give to Raymond. So when Raymond had a break he got the message. He couldn't file a police report until he got home this evening.

Its amazing how violated I feel knowing that they were on our driveway. I had no need for the trailer (it was really ugly and didn't love it parked next to our house) but it was Raymond's and I'm sad for him because he needed it. Luckily it was a hand-me-down that didn't initially cost him a lot of money, and luckily I didn't catch them actually standing in my driveway. It does make us wonder what else could happen, but the police man reassured us that this was the first call he got on our street in his six years working on the force and there will be property crime wherever you go. So we know realistically that it probably won't be found and that we'll have to get another trailer. I guess the silver lining in all of this is that it won't be as ugly as the old one! :)

1 comments:

Hilary de Haan said...

How frustrating! I don't know what I would've done. Probably panic! I'm just glad they didn't try bothering you and that you're okay!