Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Land of the Pilgrim's Pride

This line from "My Country Tis of Thee" went through my head much of Tuesday as I embarrassingly dressed as a Pilgrim as part of our unit over Pilgrims.

We culminated the unit with an "authentic" feast including Indians (parents came dressed too, so I shouldn't feel too silly).

With the past two weeks learning about Pilgrims I have given a lot of thought over what they went through to gain religious freedom. It makes me grateful that I was born to a family that showed me Christ that showed me what true freedom in Him is. I just recently read in another blog article that we can't really be thankful FOR something without being thankful TO someone. I can't be thankful for anything else without grasping the reality of the cross and that without Christ paying for the debt of my sin I would nothing. I'm thankful for Grace!


I'm also thankful for so many other things:


  • My husband. I can't find the words to describe how I feel towards him. I love that we are better together than apart and that I can daily see a picture of how Christ loves the church.

  • God's provision. I'm so thankful that our daily needs are met and and even then some. We are blessed far more than we deserve.

  • Health. As I write this I'm hacking up a lung but yet I still have it good. I'm thankful that my father-in-law has survived cancer and the rest of our families are healthy.

  • Breaks from school. They are necessary. :)

  • School. It is a place that has high expectations and pushes me to be a better teacher even 8 years into my career. (although Raymond isn't thankful for the time it requires)

  • Davy. I realize that's slightly cheesy, but he is a good dog (he's good right now so I'm forgetting everything else) and he's great company when I'm home alone.

  • My family. I love that they are close and can't imagine life any other way.

  • So much more...

1 comments:

Natalie said...

good post. thankful for you friend!