Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Jury Duty

I first got my summons for jury duty in March. I was so excited because I had always wanted to be on a jury. I was even more excited because Raymond was called on the same day. We were looking forward to being able to drive down and have lunch together. When I asked my prinicipal for the time off she told me that I would need to go down to reschedule. So my new date was June 16.
Day 1:
I showed up yesterday with at least 500 other people all crammed in the jury pool room. The welcoming judge came in and talked with us about the importance of this and how it is our civic duty and we were needed for the system to work, etc. and I was pumped. Then the waiting game began. On either side of me were two sweet ladies and we had a good time talking and sharing magazines. Every hour or so the lady on the microphone would come on and read lists of names to leave to be questioned. My name was never called. I began to get restless. The wooden benches that we were sitting on were terrible! As much as I loved to sit and read I was miserable. The only relief I got was during my lunch I could sit on a comfy chair at the downtown library. I came back after lunch. Rested and ready to be called. FINALLY at 3:15 they called my name. YES! I was told to come back at 9 the next morning. Not only could I leave early, I didn't have to be there as early the next morning. My back no longer hurt and I began to picture in my head the kind of trial I might be able to see.

Day 2:
The drive downtown was not fun as it was pouring down rain and with the traffic took twice as long. I finally get to the parking garage and I see a chance to turn in without having to go all the way around the block. Of course I don't pull in close enough so as I am taking off my seat belt to press the button a cop comes out of nowhere. He asks for my drivers license. I had the thought that it was strange that they would be checking our drivers licenses as we would pull into a parking garage. I pull it out and hand it to him and then I wonder if I did anything wrong.
Me: Did I do something wrong?
Cop: Yes.
(Ok, was he going to tell me? At this point I decide I don't like this guy.)
Me: What did I do?
Cop: You turned left. Didn't you see the signs?
(Now I'm really annoyed. Clearly I didn't see the signs or I wouldn't have turned left. All I know that it is pouring and saw a chance to get out of the rain.)
Me: No, I'm so sorry I didn't see them or I wouldn't have turned.
Cop: Did you know that it is a $200 ticket?
(His questioning isn't making sense to me. Maybe he's enjoying his moment of power. No I don't see the signs, but I guess I should know how much the tickets are!?! Hurry up and write it so I can move on from you!)
Me: I don't remember what I said.
Cop: I know that you're not used to coming downtown, blah, blah, blah. I won't give you a ticket this time.
(Now he's trying to come across as the good cop and I should feel appreciative. I don't. I am relieved that my hard earned garage sale money wasn't going towards a ticket though.)
But forget all that, my name was called yesterday and I'm ready to be put on a jury! The room is much less crowded as only 3 groups had to come back at 9. This time I'm not sitting next to anyone. I sit for an hour. The first group is called. I'm pretty uncomfortable but I know that I shouldn't have to wait too long. I sit for another long hour. Finally I hear the phone ring. Then the lady heads to the microphone. Finally I'll be able to leave to at least go sit somewhere else. I need a change of scenery. She says that there have been a few cases settled and when she calls our name we are free to go. She goes through a whole group and my name isn't called. Good, I'm not ready to go home. Then I hear "Julie Harris." What!? I sat for this? I'm so disappointed. I wasted a day and a half of just sitting.

The whole thing is so random. Who knows if I'll get another chance to go. As crazy and miserable as the whole process was, I think that I would like to do it again.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh, too bad! That same thing happened to my coworker a few weeks ago when she was called for jury duty.

danielle said...

that sounds miserable. and i think i would have wanted to hit that cop. but then i guess that probably would have been more than just $200 huh. :)

Natalie said...

We always have had good taste in music, don't you think? Who's the singer on the CD Jamie gave you?