I was so excited when my mother let me bring to our house this advent calendar. My mom originally used it with her kindergarten class before I was born and then later used it with Jamie and me letting us take turns hanging the ornaments.
These aren't the ornaments that we used but are some that she got for me from Germany that are very similar.
Raymond and I have loved hanging the ornaments each day.
But my most favorite thing this advent season is a new tradition that Raymond and I have started together. I remember as a child our family would have an advent wreath with the candles. (Actually my only memory is catching my hair on fire.) I really wanted to be more intentional with my focus during this season. So I googled and found a fabulous advent devotional. Each evening (with a few exceptions!) we have sat together, lit the advent candles, and read scripture. We are also going through a book entitled O Come Emmanuel. What a special time it has been for us as we celebrate Christ's first coming and look forward to His next. His coming has provided us with hope that we have a God that is with us, Emmanuel!
While researching advent I came across an article I thought to be very encouraging, especially "An Advent Reflection."
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
O Come, O Come Emmanuel
Posted by Julie at 11:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
The advent calendar looks good in the picture. It is 31 years old and has literally been around the world a couple of times. Lots of precious memories. Who was odd and who was even this year?
Love, Mom
We weren't as concerned about hanging an equal number of ornaments. Funny how things change when you grow up...although I think that Jamie and I would still have to split the days. :)
i love the advent wreath idea!!
Post a Comment