Monday, July 13, 2009

American Food and American Girl

I wanted to get a hot dog while here, and it was so fun. My favorite thing about the Chicago style is the whole pickle spear. I have always put pickle slices on my hot dogs, but it never occurred to me that I could put a whole spear. I didn't want one with all of the peppers and onions, and I learned quickly that you not supposed to put ketchup on your hot dog. The hot dog guy didn't give me a very nice look when I mentioned it.
This was no fat-free hot dog and worth every calorie!

We ate at a little park outside the Field Museum. It is a natural history museum with some really fascinating exhibits. But there was so much to see!
We also went through a pirates exhibit. Arrrg! I think he is too nice to ever be a pirate! :)
Our lunch destination

All the tables faced this wall. It was kind of like stadium seating. The bottom row had recliners. The middle had tables, and the back row had horseshoe shaped booths. There were 6 more screens on the other side. At your table you pressed a button for which screen you wanted the audio from. Despite the decor, their food was really good! (On another ESPN side note: at our hotel, we didn't have a huge selection of channels. But there were 5 different ESPN channels. Who knew there could be that many? What a waste of channel space!)

The lunch choice was for Raymond, but this next place was totally for me. We set out to find the 2nd biggest attraction in Chicago (according to a tour guide), the American Girl Place. This was one place I knew I wanted to go before we even got here. And as soon as we got here, I was thrilled!

Each doll had a special case/scene with everything laid out. When Jamie and I got our dolls there were only 3. Now there are tons. What a sweet day it was when Santa brought me Kirsten. I loved looking at all of her things. It is so much better than through the catalog like we would always do.

Here are all of her outfits. Raymond choked when he saw the prices. Lucky for him, his little girl already will have the doll and he only has to worry about buying the accessories! :)

5 comments:

danielle said...

i had kirsten too! however, i dont think jackson will care very much about her... maybe baby #2...

just a few more football seasons julie! and you will LOVE that decor at espn zone.

love you.

Samantha said...

{Yay! You fixed the comments! :) }

Oh my goodness!! I LOVE the American Girl Place... and of course, I loved the "Samantha" doll and books! We had one near us in LA and I told Ben, several times, that he was lucky we had a boy while we lived there. Especially since I drove right past it every time I went to my OB.

Looks like you guys had a blast on your trip - so much fun!!

Jamie said...

So happy you made it to the American Girl store... one day when we have little girls, we will have to go together!!

JHawk said...

what a fun hotdog!!!

Natalie said...

i had kirsten too! :)